Our core verse for our church is Mark 10:45 “For even the Son of Man came not to be served, but to serve and to give His life as a ransom for many.” God has called us to serve our community, the lost, hurt and broken people.
Jesus did not come for those who had everything figured out and whose lives were put together. In came for those who were in need. As a church we are passionate about downtown Waterloo and want to be difference makers in our city.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
Our purpose is completely focused on our faith in God through Jesus Christ.
- We believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God, revealed by Him to man (Psalm 119:89; Matthew 24:35; 2 Timothy 2:15, 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:19-21.) God’s word is just as effective for the lives of people today as when it was written. The Bible tells us, “…there is nothing new under the sun” (Eccl 1:9), and We can assure you God’s word will speak into your heart today.
- We believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God, revealed by Him to man. The entire Bible we accept as truth. God’s word is just as effective for the lives of people today as when it was written in the times of Christ 2,000 years ago. The Bible tells us “there is nothing new under the sun” (eccl 1:9) and I can promise you God’s word will speak right to your heart.
- God created us in His image (Gen 1:27). Scripture tells us He formed us in our mother’s womb (Ps 139:13). So He had a part in you being born! We were created for His pleasure (Rev 4:11).
- Jesus Christ is the son of God (John 1:1-2). He was sent down to earth, to live a sinless life, and to pay the penatly for man’s sin on the cross (Col 2:13-14). Then Jesus was brought back to life proving death could not defeat Him (Mk 16:1-8). It is our acknowledgement of what Jesus did for us that brings us into forgiveness with God (Eph 1:7).
- The Holy Spirit was sent to work in the lives of people. Christ said to the disciples it is better that we live with the Holy Spirit than to have Christ in our physical presence. We receive conviction for things we have done through the Holy Spirit. He counsels us and direct our path (Jn 16:5-15). We can even recieve spiritual gifts that help build up and strengthen the believers in the church (1 Cor 12:4-11).
- Jesus died for all of humanity and that is exactly what the church is for; to bring the truth to everyone, everywhere (2 Cor 5:14). We wait with great expectation because the Bible says one day He is returning for His people (1 Thess 4:13-18).
Open Bible Church is affiliated with Open Bible Churches. For more information visit their webpage here.