IT’S ALL ABOUT JESUS
Everyone has an opinion about Jesus. Maybe you think He’s a great teacher or a prophet. Maybe you think He didn’t exist at all. Whatever you believe, we can probably agree that Jesus changed things.
We believe He wants to change you, too.
Jesus claimed He knew God. No big deal, right? Plenty of people make the same claim. But Jesus also said He was God. And this upset the religious leaders of His day so much that they killed Him. But that was 2,000 years ago. Why does it matter to you now? How does who Jesus is and what He’s done affect your life now in your 9 to 5, trying to take care of your kids, paying bills, or just keeping your head above water?
God, the Creator of the universe, has a purpose for you and your life. He loves you and wants to help you because He is a good God. And because of that, His plans are better than your plans. You don’t have to measure up to some impossible religious standard to know Him. You just have to take a few simple steps.
You don’t have to be perfect. Through His death on the cross, and then coming back from the dead, Jesus took all of your wrong and gave you all of His right. If you believe that and commit to following Him, your life will never be the same. It’s as simple as repenting of your sin, declaring you want to follow Jesus, and believing He is who He says He is.
Believing in Jesus is the first step on the greatest journey of your life. You haven’t finished the race—you’ve just gotten started. The best is yet to come!
If you’ve made the decision to follow Jesus, or if you still have questions, we’d love to talk with you about it. Stop by OBC this Sunday, call Aaron Keller, our lead pastor, at 319.235.6765, or email. We want to help you take your next steps and learn how to follow Jesus!
TAKING YOUR FIRST STEPS AS A CHRISTIAN
Once you have taken the HUGE step of becoming a Christian, there are some key things that you can do to grow as a Christian and take your next step toward Christ. Here are some key growth steps:
- Read the Bible – The Bible will tell you everything you need to know in order to grow in your spiritual life. Because God speaks through His Word (the Bible), you will get to know Him better and learn what pleases Him. As you obey His Word, you will grow strong and begin to see positive changes in your life. A great way to start reading the Bible is through an app for your phone, tablet, or computer called “YouVersion.” You can download it for free here. If you would like a physical Bible or someone to help you get started reading it, contact Open Bible Church, we’d love to help.
- Pray – Prayer is one of the greatest privileges we have as a child of God. Just think, the God of all creation wants to hear from you! You can call on the Lord any hour of the day or night and He will listen. It doesn’t matter to God if your prayers are eloquent or flowery—it matters only that you pray with a pure and sincere heart.
- Find a Church – Church plays a vital role in your spiritual growth. Relationships with other Christians will keep you spiritually active and give you much-needed encouragement and support. Church provides you with instruction from God’s Word and gives you the training and opportunity to use your God-given gifts and abilities.
- Share your Story – Good news is hard to keep to yourself! God wants you to share your newfound faith with others. You don’t have to wait until you’re an expert in the Bible to witness to others. You can share what you know—your own story of what Jesus has done for you. You can find some great information about how to share your faith here.
- Experience Water Baptism – Being baptized in water is an outward sign of what God has done on the inside. It is a way to “go public” with your decision to be a Christian. If you have become a Christian but have never been baptized, we would love to help you take that important step in your faith journey. Let us know you want to be baptized.